Networker

Re: [Networker] How to improve performance

2004-10-22 10:27:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to improve performance
From: "Fields, David" <David.Fields AT ACS-INC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:26:39 -0400
As an experiment, try running a test backup by picking just one of your big
filesystems, and then compare the time that it takes to run that backup
against your normal backups.

The reason I say do this is that you have to remember that unlike other
backup software, Legato starts up multiple streams so that it can make the
best use out of the tape drive that it can.  However, you have to keep some
stuff in mind.  For instance, if you have a server, with 3 drives, defined
into one Raid-5 container, and then you create multiple "drives" within that
container, all three drive are using the same spindles (disks).  If these
drives are big, and if you tell Legato to back up all 3 at the same time,
you can actually slow down your backup because the disks are being
overworked (disk thrashing).  I know you're using a SAN for this, but you
still might want to look to see how the particular drives you are backing up
are actually configured within the SAN, as you could very easily have
multiple filesystems using the same physical drives.

If you were doing this over a Gig Ethernet network, then I would say you're
possibly running into some other bottlenecks, such as TCP window size or
some other TCP setting, which can have a big effect on performance.  Windows
uses some very conservative network settings for Gig-E networks, and it can
be very tricky trying to figure out the best configuration (I'm still
working on it actually..if anyone has any info on this, I would appreciate
your input).  For instance, if you try to ftp from a Windows box over a Gig
network, I rarely get over 20MB (Mega Bytes)/sec out of the network, using
default settings.  However, if I change the TCP window size, I can increase
that to almost 40 or 50MB/sec.  At that point, the PCI bus is likely to
start being a bottleneck.

Dave