Networker

Re: [Networker] Convert server to storage node

2004-08-09 05:42:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Convert server to storage node
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:41:22 +0100
Somen Chanda wrote:

Andrew,

The start portion of the networker server looks like the following:

'start')
(echo 'starting NetWorker daemons:') > /dev/console
if [ -f /usr/sbin/nsrexecd ]; then
        (/usr/sbin/nsrexecd; /bin/sleep 15) > /dev/console 2>&1
        (echo ' nsrexecd') > /dev/console
fi
if [ -f /usr/sbin/lgtolmd ]; then
        (/usr/sbin/lgtolmd -p /nsr/lic -n 1) > /dev/console 2>&1
        (echo ' lgtolmd') > /dev/console
fi
if [ -f /usr/sbin/nsrd -a ! -f /usr/sbin/NetWorker.clustersvr ]; then
        (/usr/sbin/nsrd) > /dev/console 2>&1
        (echo ' nsrd') > /dev/console
fi
        ;;

I am not sure which line to comment out.

Could you specify?

The nsrexecd is the client daemon, and runs on all machines including
servers and storage nodes. For a storage node, the nsrmmd daemons are
spawned off from this daemon, so nothing further needs to be started
manually.

lgtolmd is the licence daemon, and hardly anyone uses this. I have never
known any customer that uses it. If you are not using licence manager
you can safely ignore this.

nsrd is the server daemon. This is the bit you need to comment out if
you want to run just a storage node on a machine with the server package
installed. Commenting it out as suggested by others will work fine,
although if this is an activity you might need to do several times, you
might prefer a slightly more elegant solution. What I have previously
done for a customer was to modify the startup script to check for the
existence of a flag file, and only start the server daemon if the file
exists. The modified line would be:

if [ -f /usr/sbin/nsrd -a ! -f /usr/sbin/NetWorker.clustersvr -a -f
/nsr/runasserver ]; then

To bring the storage node up as a server, just do
touch /nsr/runasserver
then restart networker. To reconfigure as a storage node, do
rm -f /nsr/runasserver
and restart networker.

The caveat when modifying the startup script for any reason is that it
will be overwritten if you upgrade NetWorker, so you should make a note
of any changes and re-apply them after upgrading.