Networker

Re: [Networker] Convert server to storage node

2004-08-06 13:40:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Convert server to storage node
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:44:05 -0700

> We currently have two NSR servers A & B independent of each other but
> network connected. But we are planning to consolidate our Legato
> environment. So server A will remain as the NSR server and we will convert
> server B to a storage node. But we do a considerable amount restores
> regularly and our Browse retention policy is 1 Year. So we might need to go
> back to our old config i.e. convert server B into a NSR server as and when
> required. We are currently dealing with the licensing issue with legato.

You shouldn't need a license for a local restore from a single tape
drive.

> I have created a separate mount point for the nsr directory on server B and
> planning to create the new storage config on this new nsr filesystem. I
> will unmount the current nsr directory so that it is untouched.

Cool.

> But the issue is if I am converting the NSR server B to a Storage node I
> will need to remove the LGTOsrvr package from the server but when we want
> to go back to the old config then we will need the LGTOsrvr again.
>
> Does anyone have a better idea, how this can done quickly and easily.

Hmm.  What launches the daemons on a storage node?  (I don't have one
installed).  If it's not nsrd, then simply moving it aside may be
sufficient.

If it is, how does nsrd tell the difference between a master and a
storage node?