Networker

[Networker] Firewall Configuration

2004-07-07 10:13:12
Subject: [Networker] Firewall Configuration
From: Anuj <anuj AT ACE-DATA DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:42:01 +0530
Hi All,

I am facing some issues with firewall configuration -

The environment is -
 Backup Server - Red Hat Linux 9.
 Client Servers - Solaris 2.6
 Autochanger - 1 drive & 10 slots VXA media type.

There is a firewall configured for Solaris servers. The firewall in use is
Cisco Pix 520 version 4.4(4) unlimited connection. The set up is attached
herewith in the attached Word document.

The server parallelism is set to 16 and the client parallelism to 4 for each
client. Since, it is a single drive Autoloader, we will have only one Group
running at a time. We would be using nwrecover from the client for recovery of
data.

We have tried to open many service & connection ports but the backup fails
indicating "Cannot bind socket to service port in configured range on the
system lgto" and "Cannot bind socket to connection port in configured range on
the system lgto" This indicates that we are opening less than the required no.
of ports. Please help us resolve the issue. We need to know -

1.How many service & connection ports need to be opened at the server and the
client end for the above environment.
2.If we need 10 service & 60 connection ports for a client, we select range
7937-7946 and 10001-10060 respectively for client 1. Can we use the same range
for client 2 belonging to the same group or we need to use any other set of
port range. Backup of all the six clients would be taken under one group,
therefore we need to be sure about the port range selection. What would be the
server port range in this case.
3.If we restrict the port range for the backup server, would it also effect the
backups of the servers not covered under the firewall.

Can somebody help me with this.

Thanks & Regards,
Anuj Mediratta
Ace Data Devices Pvt. Ltd.