Networker

Re: [Networker] volume capacity part 2

2004-04-14 13:08:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] volume capacity part 2
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:08:40 -0500
Confused,

The 2 to 1 compression ratio that vendors use in marketing is just a guess
about the average compression a customer will get.  The actual compression
ratio you achieve depends on the kinds of files you are backing up.

The compression algorithm works largely by detecting repeating patterns in
the file being compressed and substituting a token for those patterns that
indicates how to restore them when the file is uncompressed.  Something like
a graphics file or DB file may contain large areas of repeating patterns and
you may get 10 to 1 or better compression but an executable file may contain
almost no repeating patterns and you may get no compression.

The mixture of files you back up determines the ultimate compression ratio
you achieve.  The numbers you gave don't seem unreasonable to me.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
(formerly: UPS Aviation Technologies)