Networker

Re: [Networker] volume capacity part 2

2004-04-14 14:54:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] volume capacity part 2
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:50:47 +0100
adult swim wrote:
After feedback from the list I realized that I was
using data compression incorrectly by using hardware
compression as well as unix with compression
directives, that has been changed to hardware
compression only.

In addition I verified that I have all 100/200 LTO
Ultrium tapes loaded in the Jukebox but....

I am seeing tape capacity figures that are all over
the place. Some show Full at 181GB and 169GB and that
makes sense but I am also seeing some show Full at
335GB and 362GB which does not make sense.

If I have a 100GB tape that should only be able to
show 200GB max compressed how am I getting figures
over 200GB? any ideas?

200GB is not your maximum capacity, it is just the estimate that the
marketing people use. It depends on the compressibility of the data, it
could be anywhere from 100GB upwards. I have seen LTO-1 tapes with over
600GB written to them.