Networker

Re: [Networker] Cross Platform Restore (NW 7 vs NW 6)

2004-01-20 09:47:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cross Platform Restore (NW 7 vs NW 6)
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:47:02 -0500
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Riaan Louwrens wrote:

>Hmmm ...
>
>Quick question for the "powers that be" out there.
>
>Networker didnt (doesnt?) support cross platform restore (ex Windows Backup
>Server / Unix Client) in version 6.x. I remember seeing / hearing somewhere
>that version 7.x would be able to do this.
>
>Can somebody confirm this (or not). Has anybody tried this successfully?

I don't recall reading anything about that capability in the release notes
for version 7. If you have a small Microsoft Word file on a Windows
server, back it up and then try to restore it to a Unix system and see
what happens. I suspect it will not work, but there's no reason not to put
it to the test if you have the licenses and systems in place to try it.