Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.x resource files.

2004-01-19 02:44:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.x resource files.
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:12:24 +1100
Darren,

> I see that most of the resource files move from being in the single
> /nsr/res/nsr.res file to distributed in /nsr/res/nsrdb/*/...

Yes.

> My question is if I have someone tar up and send me all those files from
> a running 7.x server, can I see the configuration that I would have been
> able to see otherwise in the old format?  It's not a binary file or
> anything like that, right?

It is all in plain text.  Exactly the same format as the old
/nsr/res/nsr.res (even down to the blank line at the end of each
resource).  They've done quite a good job on it.

While I haven't attempted it, I'd guess that you could do:

# cat /nsr/res/nsrdb/*/* >/nsr/res/nsr.res

as part of a 7 -> 6 downgrade.

> I'm really interested in client, schedule, device, group, and pool
> resources.  Are they distributed in all the subdirectories, or is for
> instance nsrdb/06 all one type?

No, it is effectively random.

The subdirectory name is the same as the first two characters of the
individual resource files.  The resource file names are the resource id
converted to hex (which makes them 24 hex digits long).

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University