Networker

[Networker] Poor performance with LTO 2 drives

2003-11-25 10:55:58
Subject: [Networker] Poor performance with LTO 2 drives
From: Paul Langford <plangfor AT AB.BLUECROSS DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:45:54 -0500
We are currently testing a new jukebox, and are not getting anywhere near
the performance we expected.

Our current setup is:  HP-UX 10, Networker 6.1.2, Exabyte X80 jukebox with
6 Exabyte Mammoth 2 drives. Disks are mounted locally. I get about 13M/s on
the drives.

We are replacing the Exabyte jukebox with a Soragetek L80 with 4 HP LTO2
drives (only 2 are connected for testing purposes).  Using Legato to run
backups, the best I can get is 25M/s if one drive is used, and 16M/s if 2
drives are used. Changing the number of streams to the devices doesn't make
a lot of difference. Changing blocksize hasn't made much difference either.

Using performance tools at the command line, I can run the drives at over
22M/s using Legato. Using HP diagnostic tools I can run the drives to over
50M/s. So the hardware seems to be ok.

Is there anyone with a similar configuration getting better thru-put?