Networker

Re: [Networker] Inventory loads tapes into drives..

2003-11-18 17:01:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Inventory loads tapes into drives..
From: Joe Moore <Joe.Moore AT SDRC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:51:37 -0500
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:01:01AM -0800, Darren Dunham wrote:
> During testing, I'm -w(ithdrawing) two volumes into the CAP, then I
> -d(eposit) them back into empty slots, then I -I(nventory) them.
>
> All volumes have barcodes and the jukebox uses them, but this inventory
> loads the tapes into drives to verify the label.  I'm not certain why it
> does this.

In my experience, Networker doesn't update the jukebox contents unless
you specify the tapes you're depositing.  You can check this by looking
at the hidden attribute "Volumes" of the Jukebox resource.

> After the deposit, I can see that the barcode label for the volume in
> 'mminfo' is the same as it was before.  I've done an 'mminfo' and
> verified that there's no duplication of the barcode in the media
> database.
>
> With 6.1.1 installed, is there a reason that the tapes are being loaded
> rather than simply having the barcodes read?  When I do a sjirdtag after
> the deposit, I see that the jukebox knows the proper barcodes are in the
> proper slots, and the barcode matches the volume in the media database.

According to what you have below, Networker is not sure of the media label
(volume id) in slot 175 (see where is says box_display: `_' for drive?)

> nsrjb -v -I -S175 -S230
> box_inventory:
> Jukebox handle being closed at port [email protected]
> box_inventory_free:
> Jukebox handle being opened at port [email protected]
> Slot `175' is being loaded into drive `/dev/rmt/10cbn'
> box_display: `-' for drive `/dev/rmt/10cbn'

--Joe