Networker

Re: [Networker] Inventory loads tapes into drives..

2003-11-20 04:16:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Inventory loads tapes into drives..
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <thierry.faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:21:56 +0100
Depositing a volume into the lib, NetWorker will NOT update
the inventory because no action is performed with barcode or
volume label of the deposited volume.

If you turn on MATCH BARCODE option in your jukebox,
as barcode equals volume name at labeling, the tapes should not be
loaded into a drive to have the volume name verified.
It should use a check like :

if jukebox has volume name matching barcode option turned on
then
        if barcode text is known in mediadb
        then
                if retrieved record has barcode=volume name
                then
                        inventory is updated with barcode
                        without mounting tape.
else
        Mount volume into a drive to verify volume name.
        if barcode does not match barcode in mmdb for verified volume
        then
                update mmdb with new barcode.

Using barcode not matching the volume name, networker cannot
rely on barcode getting volume name so it mounts the tape into
a drive to verify label and updates barcode field for the volumeid's
record
in the mediaDB if the detected barcode does not match with current one
stored in the volumeid's record.

Hope that helps,

Warm regards,

Thierry

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HPCI - Storage & Server Integration Practice
Tru64 Unix and Legato EBS Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email :    thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet : http://www.hp.com/

MOBISTAR SA/NV

SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/