Networker

Re: [Networker] Inventory loads tapes into drives..

2003-11-20 19:42:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Inventory loads tapes into drives..
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:42:27 -0800

> Depositing a volume into the lib, NetWorker will NOT update
> the inventory because no action is performed with barcode or
> volume label of the deposited volume.
>
> If you turn on MATCH BARCODE option in your jukebox,
> as barcode equals volume name at labeling, the tapes should not be
> loaded into a drive to have the volume name verified.
> It should use a check like :
>
> if jukebox has volume name matching barcode option turned on
> then
>         if barcode text is known in mediadb
>         then

I would amend that to...

          if barcode text identifies a *unique* volume in mediadb

>                 if retrieved record has barcode=volume name
>                 then

Is that necessary?  All of my volumes are auto labeled to match the
barcode so I can't test it, but I don't think it needs to match.

>                         inventory is updated with barcode
>                         without mounting tape.

All of the above is true in my case, but the jukebox still requires the
tape be placed in a drive.

It appears that another constraint needs to be added.

                   if retrieved record has location="$jukebox" or
                                           location=""

> Using barcode not matching the volume name, networker cannot
> rely on barcode getting volume name so it mounts the tape into
> a drive to verify label and updates barcode field for the volumeid's
> record
> in the mediaDB if the detected barcode does not match with current one
> stored in the volumeid's record.

Yup.  All of that is fine on the tapes I'm testing.

Here's an example...

withdraw/deposit
# nsrjb -w CX4822
# nsrjb -d -S 4
# mminfo -q 'barcode=CX4822' -r 'volume,barcode,location'
 volume        barcode        location
CX4822         CX4822
# nsrjb -I -S 4
                    <very fast>
# mminfo -q 'barcode=CX4822' -r 'volume,barcode,location'
 volume        barcode        location
CX4822         CX4822         ADIC_01

Okay that's normal.  Now try it again with a non-blank location.

(repeat withdraw/deposit)
# nsrjb -w CX4822
# nsrjb -d -S 4
# mminfo -q 'barcode=CX4822' -r 'volume,barcode,location'
 volume        barcode        location
CX4822         CX4822
# mmlocate -u -n CX4822 different
# mminfo -q 'barcode=CX4822' -r
'volume,barcode,location'
 volume        barcode        location
CX4822         CX4822         different
nsrjb -Iv -S 4
             <takes a long time and volume is loaded in a drive>
[snip...]
Slot `4' is being loaded into drive `/dev/rmt/0cbn'
box_display: `-' for drive `/dev/rmt/0cbn'
Jukebox handle being closed at port [email protected]
load sleep for 5 seconds
nsrjb: About to read label on /dev/rmt/0cbn
nsrjb: About to eject volume from /dev/rmt/0cbn
CX4822
[...]
# mminfo -q 'barcode=CX4822' -r 'volume,barcode,location'
 volume        barcode        location
CX4822         CX4822         ADIC_01

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company