Networker

Re: [Networker] Advanced File Device Size

2003-09-16 14:14:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advanced File Device Size
From: Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:14:44 -0400
>20 TB of diskbackup cost the same, no matter how you size it.
>the licens is Based on how much disk space you allocate for diskbackups
in
>your data zone. ie between the server and storage nodes.

>From my understanding this is not totally correct.  The licensing is
based on the amount of disk present to a datazone from one disk
subsystem.  For example if you have 2 arrays that have 4 TB each you'll
need 2 Tier 2 licenses, but if you have one 4TB array you'll need 1 Tier
3 license.

>But I don't agree that diskbased backups are for larger filesystems
only,
>I use 2 36 GB disks to keep the incrementals and then stage them to
tape,
>the abuse on the tape drives are less this way, cause my incrementals
are
>very differrent in size, and some clients just can't keep the tape
drive
>steaming alone.

I currently have some staging area disk that I use for the exact purpose
you mention.  However, when you're planning to leave data online for
some period of time the very large devices make more sense.  Not to
mention your limited in the number of devices you can have in a
datazone.  So if you have a lot of data you'd quickly run out of devices
at 36GB per device.

>If you consider diskbackup just make sure the whole backup can fit on
the
>disks. even with the adv_file device you can't stage savesets that
aren't
>finished yet, so if u have 5 TB in one saveset you will need 5+TB of
disk
>space..

Thanks,

Joel