Networker

Re: [Networker] Advanced File Device Size

2003-09-16 14:51:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advanced File Device Size
From: Marc Levitan <marc.levitan AT PFPC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:49:35 -0400
Does anyone have the AFD working in a SAN?
Could you share your setup?

I was told that a "virtual tape library" would be needed to share the AFD
accross the SAN???

Thanks.

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           Joe Moore           |
|         |           <Joe.Moore AT SDRC DOT COM>|
|         |           Sent by: Legato     |
|         |           NetWorker discussion|
|         |           <NETWORKER@LISTMAIL.|
|         |           TEMPLE.EDU>         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           09/16/2003 09:54 AM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Joe.Moore           |
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:43:47AM -0400, Joel Fisher wrote:

> Anyone using AFDs as their main targets for backups?  How large did you
> create your devices.  It seems to me that the design of the AFD is
> geared towards very large devices.  Anyone using a vxvm managed volume
> cooked with vxfs as an AFD?  What size volumes did you go with?

I've got a Nexsan ATABoy2 (about 3Tb total size) attached to a Sun Solaris
system.

It's configured as one _big_ filesystem.

Two issues I've had with it:

Cloning or staging from the adv_file devices is single-access, so I had
to create multiple adv_file devices on the same filesystem.

When the filesystem is full, all backups pause until space is freed up.
This is especially bad when staging can't get access to the adv_file.RO
device to move data off.

--Joe