Networker

Re: [Networker] Clarification: Schedule Overrides - Solaris/Networker 7.0

2003-07-21 04:13:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Clarification: Schedule Overrides - Solaris/Networker 7.0
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 08:16:15 +0100
Your strategy does make sense. I have worked on sites where a similar
strategy is implemented, sometimes with three records. I find that using
the group schedule to override the client schedule often simplifies the
configuration.

Anyway, your original question setting the overrides:

(1) nwadmin on Unix cannot do this. For some reason Legato seem to have
put more effort into the NT GUI than the Unix GUI.

(2) nwadmin on NT/Windows has an option to pull down called something
like "Display schedules as calendars". If you uncheck this box, the
override field in the schedule will change to a plain text field. You
can put your "full third tuesday every month" in here, then check the
field again to confirm that the calendar shows what you expected.

(3) nsradmin can do this, as it can do most things in NetWorker. You
could do something like:

echo "print type: NSR schedule;
name "Full on 3rd Tuesday of Month"
update override: full third tuesday every month" | nsradmin -i -

I hope this helps.

D.

lauradel collins wrote:
I should make it clear I don't mean to use the one day at a time override
in the schedule window. I want a monthly override. Here is a scenario:

Say you want a full backup every 3nd Tuesday, level 5 on Sundays, and
incrementals the rest. There is no way to do this in the GUI unless you
want to do a one day override for the 3nd Tuesday for many months in the
future. Annoying. I used to do this. Now I can have records like this
(small and tidy):

action: "5 incr incr incr incr incr incr";
comment:;
name: Full on 3rd Tuesday of Month;
override:full third tuesday every month;
period: Week;
type: NSR schedule;
resource identifier: 0.20.111.249.63.21.148.113.128.223.5.108(2)

Actually, what I do is I have TWO records for each back up save group. One
does the incrementals/level 5 and the other skips those days and just has
the full. This way, I can have incrementals;/5 for a large number save
groups run every night, one after another (save group collisions are *bad*
in my experience). I have full backups run just about around midnight, but
only one will run at a time, since the rest will "run" but with a skip.
Make sense? I was having problems with having too much data to do at
night, clone, and have access to drives for recovery during the day and
save group collisions which used to freak out the server and not just bums
it out.