Networker

[Networker] Clarification: Schedule Overrides - Solaris/Networker 7.0

2003-07-18 13:33:43
Subject: [Networker] Clarification: Schedule Overrides - Solaris/Networker 7.0
From: lauradel collins <lauradel AT CS.UOREGON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:33:38 -0700
I should make it clear I don't mean to use the one day at a time override
in the schedule window. I want a monthly override. Here is a scenario:

Say you want a full backup every 3nd Tuesday, level 5 on Sundays, and
incrementals the rest. There is no way to do this in the GUI unless you
want to do a one day override for the 3nd Tuesday for many months in the
future. Annoying. I used to do this. Now I can have records like this
(small and tidy):

action: "5 incr incr incr incr incr incr";
comment:;
name: Full on 3rd Tuesday of Month;
override:full third tuesday every month;
period: Week;
type: NSR schedule;
resource identifier: 0.20.111.249.63.21.148.113.128.223.5.108(2)

Actually, what I do is I have TWO records for each back up save group. One
does the incrementals/level 5 and the other skips those days and just has
the full. This way, I can have incrementals;/5 for a large number save
groups run every night, one after another (save group collisions are *bad*
in my experience). I have full backups run just about around midnight, but
only one will run at a time, since the rest will "run" but with a skip.
Make sense? I was having problems with having too much data to do at
night, clone, and have access to drives for recovery during the day and
save group collisions which used to freak out the server and not just bums
it out.

lauradel
--
lauradel collins/systems administrator  lauradel AT cs.uoregon DOT edu
computer science department             phone: 541-346-1389