Networker

[Networker] Savesets Missing in Index After Upgrade - Help!

2003-02-24 13:41:07
Subject: [Networker] Savesets Missing in Index After Upgrade - Help!
From: Brent Simon <brent.simon AT GOV.AB DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:31:05 -0500
Hello All,

We performed an upgrade from Networker 5.5.3 to 6.0.3 on our way to version
6.1.2.  This is on our Sun E4000 system running Solaris 8. The server has
only one Networker client, itself.

Prior to the upgrade we performed the recommended three nsrck -F, then a
nsrim ?X.  After the file index conversion we noticed the index size go
from 6.5 GB to 1.1 GB.

Checking the savesets in the file index through nwadmin, there were no
entries for the two file systems with the largest index sizes, over 2 GB.
We verified there were no entries by attempting an nwrecover in those file
systems.

We also could not perform any actions on the tape library as it gave
a 'device busy' error when running any nsrjb command or action with nwadmin.
This was resolved by redefining the tape library with jbconfig.

There were no errors or warnings reported by Networker during the upgrade.

We then attempted to recover the index at 6.0.3 with nsrck -L7, but it gave
the same result.

Has anyone ran into this problem?  Can Networker not handle save sets for
file systems larger than 2GB?

We have since recovered back to 5.5.3, but need to upgrade before 5.5.3
goes end of life on April 2003.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Brent Simon
UNIX Systems Administrator
brent.simon AT gov.ab DOT ca