Networker

Re: [Networker] Transitioning to new server - different OS

2002-12-30 15:02:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Transitioning to new server - different OS
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:02:38 +0100
YES, I did it some months ago 8-)

In short, the procedure is quite simple :

A) if the target server has not or will not have the same name
the source server, then you must create a new networker client for
the target system and start a full backup. If the Hostname are
the same, then skip this point.

B) Disable all of the Storage Node devices in order to avoid Networker
to restart the nsrmmd when restarting on the target system. Disable
Jukebox is a second protection.
Start a complete index backup. The easiest way is to have
a common group to all clients and launch "savegrp -O -l full <group>"
to save index and bootstrap. Then, shutdown Networker (to avoid lic
duplication
and to keep the identical situation on the source's /nsr and
on tape as long as possible)

Tip : To avoid Networker to start ALL CFI save session a time, restrict
the amount of concurrent saves (savegrp -O -N <limit> -l full <group>).

C) Install SAME nsr version on the Target system, create the new tape
device (/dev/rmt/?cbn in way of /dev/ntape/tape?_d1 or /dev/nrmt?h),
and start mmrecover using the tape containing the bootstrap you just
ran.
Before restart, save the restored nsr.res(.R) and nsrjb.res(.R). Can be
helpful ;-]
Bring down networker. Save the original /nsr/res/nsr.res and nsrjb.res
and
rename nsr.res.R and nsrjb.res.R to nsr.res and nsrjb.res.
Once restarted in his new home, the mediaDB will be back. Next step is
delete and recreate your jukeboxes or recreate drive per drive and
correct Jukebox and pools (if you flagged devices per pool).
Don't forget to also correct Robot Control port from jukebox resource.
Start Storage Node one per one. If all is ok then you can now recover
the indexes by running "nsrck -L 7". It's faster than recovering the
(that took me some times) before being able to do something. Doing so,
in case of major problem, your fallback procedure just consists in
restarting Networker in his original home and reenable SN devices.

D) Once finished, you will have to re-authorize all of your lic, the
hostid on a Tru64 Unix is based on the TCP/IP addr, on a Sun, it is
derivated
from a chip on the mother board.

Tip : To avoid editing all client's server files with the hostname of
the
new target backup server and restart nsrexecd, best is to keep the same
name
and IP. After B) has been completed, just shutdown one source server
and boot target one.

Hope that helps and if you need you can always drop me a call.
Happy New Year 2003,

Thierry

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HPCI - Storage & Server Integration Practice
Tru64 Unix and Legato EBS Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email :    thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet : http://www.hp.com/

MOBISTAR SA/NV

SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/