Networker

Re: [Networker] San Storage Node

2002-12-06 09:56:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] San Storage Node
From: Carl Farnsworth <carl.farnsworth AT DIGIDYNE DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:56:18 -0500
In your case you will only have to run the jbconfig on the server.  For
each device, you then specify which hosts will share that drive.

The inquire command is just a double-check that you're specifying the right
devices in the right order, i.e. that \\Tape0 is actually the device at
[email protected], for example.  This can be tricky in SAN environments!!  Let's
say one of your SSN's has a local DAT drive installed - that would throw
off the sequencing of the device naming.  Also, watch out for persistent
binding!

You may also want to consider not enabling all devices for all storage
nodes.  Each SSN-device pair creates a separate "device" for NetWorker,
which also creates a separate nsrmmd process running on the server, which
can impact server load.  Last I saw, Legato recommended a maximum of 48
such pairings on a Windows platform (as a rule of thumb).  In your case, 5
nodes x 6 drives is only 30, but still ...

Carl Farnsworth
DigiDyne Inc.