Networker

Re: [Networker] SAN Storage Node

2002-12-05 03:47:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] SAN Storage Node
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 03:47:09 -0500
On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:01:53 -0800, Brian Plume <brian.plume AT NTH DOT COM>
wrote:

>Is this information correct?  Unless I'm reading this email differently, it
sounds as if you are saying that you need to run the jbconfig on the san
storage node, and not the networker server.  I was under the impression that
you don't present the jukebox (changer) to any of the san storage
nodes...just the networker server, and merely present tape drives to each
san storage node.  My understanding is that the networker server controls
the robotic arm to pop in tapes for the san storage nodes, as they need them.

>Can someone please clarify this for me?  We are working on troubleshooting
an EBS issue for a client, and with the information that Thierry just gave,
this throws a different perspective for me.

Everything Thierry said was correct except that he didn't do a very good job
of reading your mind to find out what you really wanted. You asked a very
general question with very little specific information and expected everyone
to know what you wanted.

First of all, "SAN storage node" is just a licensing term. As Thierry
correctly said, a SAN storage node is simply a storage node that backs up
only his own data. It may or may not control the robotics of the jukebox it
is connected to, that depends how you connected it up. There is currently no
technical difference between a storage node and a SAN storage node license
(except a vast price difference), it does not identify itself differently to
NetWorker and it does not enforce the restriction on not backing up other
clients. Don't count on this continuing in future versions. Of course the
term "SAN storage node" is a bit of a misnomer since it is not necessarily
related to SANs, it's just that SANs are the typical application for this
fetaure.

Secondly, you seem to be now talking about library sharing. I assume you
want to control the library from the NetWorker server and connect a drive to
your storage node. This is fine, but it is not relevant to the issue of the
SAN storage node. The answer to the question that I think you are now asking
is that jbconfig is run on the machine that is connected to the robotics,
whether this is the NetWorker server or the storage node. Your understanding
of how this works is a little incomplete, since it is quite possible for one
SAN storage node to control the robotics for several other SAN storage nodes.

Library sharing is a no-cost option at 6.1.x and above, so you won't need an
extra license for this.