Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula manual is too outdated

2017-07-22 15:29:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula manual is too outdated
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Wanderlei Huttel <wanderleihuttel AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:27:55 -0400
On Jul 21, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:

Hello Wanderlei,

Unfortunately, the community has rarely contributed to the manual, though they have feed in lots of information that I have put in the manual.  Perhaps 1 of every 20 submissions comes with documentation.  So it all falls on my back.  There is one exception to that, and it is the Enterprise manual, which is improving.  I have a project going with Bacula Systems to ensure that there is only one manual source rather than the two that currently exist.  Consequently there is a chance that within the next 6 months to a year that the manual will improve.

Developers including me detest writing documentation.  I write it because otherwise I spend too much time on support.  Even with a perfect manual, I spend too much time on support, because a lot of people do not read it.  Those are just facts of nature that we must live with unless a fairy goddess comes along and sprinkles some mother tongue technical person with fairy dust that causes him/her to get interested in the manual.

Best regards,

Kern