Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula LTO-5

2017-06-02 09:29:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula LTO-5
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Richard Fox <rfox AT mbl DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:28:52 +0200
Hello,

See below ...

On 06/02/2017 01:44 PM, Richard Fox wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 01:24:46PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
I don't seem to have the original post of Richard Fox, so could you please
specify what "this directive" is in the sentence:

Otherwise, this advice is a little contradictory to the documentation which states
"On most modern tape drives, you will not need to specify this directive.
My apologies, I had sent the message from the wrong address and
cancelled moderation on it. I was hoping nobody would notice.

My original message asked if this discussion was in regard to the
"Maximum block size" (and presumably "Minimum block size") from the
device resource.

"Are you both referring to "Maximum block size" (and presumably "Minimum block
size") from the
Device resource?
As for me: Yes.
If not please ignore the rest of this message. Otherwise, this advice is a
little contradictory
to the documentation which states "On most modern tape drives, you will not
need to specify this
directive.".
Yes, this is completely correct. If you really want to squeeze every ounce of performance in writing drives, you might want to increase the Maximum Block Size.

More importantly however, the documentation (for Bacula 7.2 anyways) says: "The
maximum
size-in-bytes possible is 2,000,000." which contradicts the assertion that
these can be specified
as 2MB which is not the same thing. Is the documentation inaccurate on
this subject?"
Unless I am missing something, in Bacula 1000000 and 1 MB are the same thing. In Bacula 2 M is 1048576 bytes. This may be a bit confusing, but it is historic.

Best regards,
Kern