Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] frequent segfaults

2017-01-28 00:30:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] frequent segfaults
From: Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 19:29:48 -1000
Hi Josh,

>Are the VM's configured exactly the same on both ESXi hosts? A difference in VCPU, memory limit, etc. in the VM config could potentially reveal the problem.

The VM that bacula-dir is running on is configured exactly the same.  No changes were made to it before I vMotioned it to a different esxi host.

Thanks for the help!
-craig

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:00 AM, Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com> wrote:

On 1/27/2017 4:04 AM, Craig Shiroma wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the help!

Sorry for the delayed reply.  What I've done so far is move the Director VM to a different ESXi host.  So far, no segfaults although I'll give it a week before raising the all clear flag.

Are the VM's configured exactly the same on both ESXi hosts? A difference in VCPU, memory limit, etc. in the VM config could potentially reveal the problem.

There are normally many VMs on the ESXi host that the Director VM was running on that experienced the segfault.  Is it out of the ordinary that only Bacula has experienced problems so far?  Other apps on the host have not experienced any problems that I know of.  However, like I mentioned so far no segfaults since I v-motioned it to a different ESXi host, so it's probably something about the machine like many of you suggested.  I'll have to check with our VMware folks to see when the host can be put in maintenance mode so the memtest can be run.  BTW, as far as I know we did not compile from source although I'll have to check with the person who setup our Bacula installation to be positive (who now works for different company).

I'll post back in a week...earlier if a segfault occurs.

Again, much thanks for the help!

Craig

On 2017-01-25 07:19, Josh Fisher wrote:

> If you compiled from source, then check your compiler flags

If it ran fine before, that's not impossible, but rather unlikely to be
the cause. You'd expect at least a major libc update or something to
break it...

One thing I forgot to mention is just re-seating the DIMMs *might* fix
it. That's the easiest thing to try, plus when you crack it open you
might see something. Like a gunked-up cpu fan.

Dima