Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole can't talk to bacula-dir

2016-10-02 05:11:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole can't talk to bacula-dir
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "Hankins, Jonathan" <jhankins AT homewood.k12.al DOT us>, Sven Hartge <sven AT svenhartge DOT de>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 11:10:44 +0200
On 10/02/2016 09:08 AM, Hankins, Jonathan wrote:
I'll have to dig a bit, but I know the package source in Mint 18 is unmodified from Ubuntu xenial, and I didn't see any indication that it was different than what's in debian.

I think what may be happening is, Ubuntu xenial (a LTS release IIRC) tracks something newer than debian stable (maybe testing?) It has 7.0.5. Debian stable is still on 5.x, with an older rules file that probably doesn't have the linker flag that's causing trouble. Debian unstable, and newer Ubuntu have 7.4.3 or 7.4.4, where Kern has worked around the issue. I think people using the director are more likely to be doing so on Debian and thus are getting the 5.x code without the linker flag. Likewise, people's on the newest Ubuntu probably have something >= 7.4.3, where it's worked around. So I think only people on the Ubuntu LTS release (xenial) or Mint 18 (brand new, but based on xenial) are getting hit with it, and like Kern said, it may only manifest if certain defaults are in use.

Yes, it is my understanding that Ubuntu (at least the Bacula packager) is way ahead of Debian.

Even though it's fixed in the 7.4.x from Ubuntu (probably in debian too), if it's indeed broken in debian, I'm going to ask if they can release an update to their 7.0.5 package in testing, so that people who track that, or distros that are derived from it, don't get a broken bacula out of the box.

Yes, please do so.  Thanks.

I think compiler optimizations and linker tweaks that change the fundamental functioning of your code aren't great things to turn on by default :-/ It's hard enough to develop and maintain software without your tools fighting against you!

I don't have a big problem with compiler optimizations and linker tweaks if packagers want to make them -- often they have "packaging rules" that require those items.  However, where I am not happy for the Bacula users is when packagers don't even test one execution and so they change things, break them, and then make a bad release.  It shouldn't work that way.

To help resolve this problem, the Bacula project will shortly be releasing binaries for as many common distros as we can handle, and we do test our binaries :-)

Best regards,
Kern

-Jonathan Hankins