Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole can't talk to bacula-dir

2016-10-01 08:57:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole can't talk to bacula-dir
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 14:57:00 +0200
Hello Josh,

Yes, if you build either with -D fortify-source=2 or link with -Bsymbolic-functions, Bacula will fail.  It is best
to stick with the Bacula recommended build options, which is what you are using.

Also if you have a Bacula version less that 7.4.3 and you build with GNU C++ 6.0 or greater,
Bacula will not work.  This problem is fixed in 7.4.3 and greater, but the guys committing to
C++ have lost all common sense of the basic function of the C++ compiler that is to correctly
compile the source code written by the author.  On multiple occasions, they now simply elide (drop
or delete) your source code.  Consequently, it is likely that with new C++ compiler we will
run into additional problems, unless we can find a C++ compiler that respects what the programmer
writes.  It is the user's responsibility (or problem) if he/she adds options that the project
does not use (and often warns against), but when you have rogue C++ compiler writers, life
gets much more complicated.

Best regards,
Kern