Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycle Tape marked used but not the oldest volume.

2016-09-23 23:51:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycle Tape marked used but not the oldest volume.
From: Marcin Haba <ganiuszka AT gmail DOT com>
To: Gi Dot <gadidot AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 05:50:13 +0200
Hello Gi Dot,

I think that this problem and solution to the problem is very similar
to that we solved yesterday here:

https://adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2016-09/msg00008.html

I don't mean the same technical solution but only analogy to use a
workarround and its consequences.

You described this current problem such as: You want to have
capability to run backup always and you want to have volume recycling
well configured.

Did I understand the problem correct or not? Do you want to add
something to the problem description?

If I understood the problem well, I think that you need to do (in this order):

1) read in Bacula official documentation the chapter "Automatic Volume
Recycling"

http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

It will give you theoretical knowledge that enables you start thinking
about configuration that you will want to use in Bacula.

2) Write down your requrements what you want to achieve in volume recycling
3) Start using the new recycle config in Bacula and check if it works
as you expected.
4) In case problems you can ask at the mailing list. Here are
subscribed many very experienced Bacula admins who help people with
using Bacula if people send a problem here.

Best regards.
Marcin Haba (gani)

On 12 September 2016 at 16:33, Gi Dot <gadidot AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to mention that I want a solution that doesn't require human
> intervention. I used to use a script to set the volume status to recycle
> after each job run but I figured that maybe there's a better way of doing
> it?
>
> My aim is so that the backup job will always be successful, regardless a
> wrong tape is inserted, or if a tape is not changed for some time that will
> lead it to be fully utilised, but can't be recycled because there are other
> tapes that are appendable.
>

> On 12 Sep 2016 22:06, "Phil Stracchino" <phils AT caerllewys DOT net> wrote:
>
> On 09/12/16 06:14, Gi Dot wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> If I have a list of tapes with status Used, and the tape that I inserted
>> is also Used and the retention period is already exceeded, bacula won't
>> recycle the tape if it is not the oldest volume, right?
>>
>> If the prior statement is true, is it possible for me to get bacula to
>> recycle a tape that is already marked as used and has exceeded its
>> retention period, while ignoring whether it is the oldest volume or not.
>
> Purge the volume and use an UPDATE VOLUME command to set its status to
> Recycle.
>

> --
>   Phil Stracchino
>   Babylon Communications
>   phils AT caerllewys DOT net
>   phil AT co.ordinate DOT org
>   Landline: 603.293.8485

"Większej miłości nikt nie ma nad tę, jak gdy kto życie swoje kładzie
za przyjaciół swoich." Jezus Chrystus