Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] IBM DAT 160 (dds6) media status error after backup.

2016-09-05 05:20:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] IBM DAT 160 (dds6) media status error after backup.
From: Gi Dot <gadidot AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 17:19:26 +0800
Hi all,

I am using IBM DAT 160 media with bacula, and I always get a tape error after a successful backup job. There were a lot of times that the tapes snapped as well. At first I thought the tapes are just defect, but the error occured so frequent that I started to doubt my bacula configuration.

I used to get this error in the logs, but couldn't find similar error in recent logs:
05-May 15:54 hpsf-sd JobId 130: Volume "set1-w" previously written, moving to end of data.
05-May 15:54 hpsf-sd JobId 130: Error: Unable to position to end of data on device "ibm-dds6" (/dev/nst0): ERR=dev.c:776 ioct
l MTEOM error on "ibm-dds6" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.

05-May 15:54 hpsf-sd JobId 130: Marking Volume "set1-w" in Error in Catalog.

Whenever this occured, I can only relabel the tape in order to reuse it. I hope anyone can have a look on the information of the tape settings and bacula configuration provided below, and advise if there is anything that is not right.

# tapeinfo -f /dev/nst0
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'IBM     '
Product ID: 'DDS Gen6        '
Revision: 'WU04'
Attached Changer API: No
SerialNumber: 'HU14086PJM'
MinBlock: 1
MaxBlock: 16777215
SCSI ID: 0
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: yes
BufferedMode: yes
Medium Type: Not Loaded
Density Code: 0x48
BlockSize: 0
DataCompEnabled: yes
DataCompCapable: yes
DataDeCompEnabled: yes
CompType: 0x20
DeCompType: 0x0
BOP: yes
Block Position: 0
Partition 0 Remaining Kbytes: 86814000
Partition 0 Size in Kbytes: 86814000
ActivePartition: 0
EarlyWarningSize: 0
NumPartitions: 0
MaxPartitions: 1

# mt -f /dev/nst0 status drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape drive status = 1207959552 sense key error = 0 residue count = 0 file number = 0 block number = 0 Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x48 (DAT160). Soft error count since last status=0 General status bits on (41010000): BOT ONLINE IM_REP_E

# bacula-sd.conf:
Device { Name = ibm-dds6 Media Type = DDS6 Device Type = tape Archive Device = /dev/nst0 AlwaysOpen = yes; Hardware End of Medium = no; # Two EOF = Yes RemovableMedia = yes; RandomAccess = no; }

Before running the first job, mount script will be executed (run before job). After running the last job, umount script will be executed (run after job).

# cat mount.sh
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/bconsole -c /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf <<EOF
mount storage=TapeDrive
EOF

# cat umount.sh
#!/bin/sh

/bin/sleep 60

/usr/sbin/bconsole -c /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf <<EOF
umount storage=TapeDrive
EOF

More from bacula.log:
https://dpaste.de/uAYF/raw