Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mixed media types in a single autochanger with preferred order

2016-08-05 19:00:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mixed media types in a single autochanger with preferred order
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: mark bergman <mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 19:59:08 -0300 (BRT)
> That works just fine...the problem is that the Pool definition also
> requires a StorageDevice. So, a single pool (ie., "Incremental") can
> only use one of the Storage devices (neoxl80-LTO5-x  or  neoxl80-LTO6-x).

Hello, Mark: in fact, it's not really necessary to specify a Storage in the
Pool resource, unless in some particular cases.
Doing that really creates a strong matrix between Pools and Storages, but I
don't think it is the issue here.

> So, if I have:

> Pool {
>  Name = Incremental
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  File Retention = 14 weeks
>  Job Retention = 14 weeks
>  Volume Retention = 14 weeks
>  Recycle Pool = Scratch
>  Storage = neoxl80-LTO5-1
> }
>
> # Full backup pool definition
> Pool {
>  Name = Full
>  File Retention = 18 months
>  Job Retention = 18 months
>  Volume Retention = 18 months
>  Recycle Pool = Scratch
>  Storage = neoxl80-LTO6-x
> }
>
> Then "Incremental" jobs can never use LTO6 media, even if no LTO4 media is
> available.

Unless something changed, I think it's not recommended to call Drives from an
Autochanger directly from bacula-dir.conf.
You should always use the Autochanger Name (bacula-sd.conf) as the
bacula-dir.conf, Storage Resource, Device directive.
Hopefully, Bacula will match the Devices (Drives) Media Types to the Tape Media
Types during operation.

Regardsm
Heitor Medrado de Faria | Bacula do Brasil
Próximas aulas telepresencial ao-vivo: http://www.bacula.com.br/agenda/
Ministro treinamento e implementação in-company Bacula:
http://www.bacula.com.br/in-company/
61 8268-4220
Site: www.bacula.com.br