Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backups to Google Drive?

2016-07-28 09:14:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backups to Google Drive?
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 09:13:23 -0400
On 07/28/16 07:22, Josh Fisher wrote:
> My opinion is that the Internet is not yet fast enough or robust enough
> for full backups of multi-terabyte systems. I would store fulls to local
> disk and then rsync to GD. It should be feasible to store incrementals
> directly to GD. However, if none of the filesystems are robust enough,
> then I would table the whole idea until they are.

I would expand upon to say that Internet or "cloud-based" storage is
really not fast enough to practically back up large quantities of data
in a practical period of time - not that the storage itself is too slow,
but with few exceptions, the available upload speed simply is not enough
to back up the needed volume of data in a backup cycle of less than days
to weeks.  The principal exceptions to this are broadband end-users who
are only backing up a few personal documents and their family photos,
and large enterprises with the budget for extremely fast (gigabit or
faster) network uplinks.

This has always historically been so, and I contend that in most cases
it is likely to always remain so, quite simply because the volume of
data being stored has historically tended to be large compared to
available Internet uplink bandwidth and is, on the whole, increasing
faster than uplink bandwidth.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications