Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backups to Google Drive?

2016-07-28 07:21:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backups to Google Drive?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 07:22:14 -0400
On 7/27/2016 6:15 PM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> What is the current thinking of the most effective way to use Bacula
> doing storage to Google Drive?
>
> We have a fast network connection, with  multi-terabyte Linux systems to
> regularly backup. I don't think any of the Linux fuse filesystems for
> Google Drive are really robust enough to depend on.

How fast? A 100 Mbps connection equates to 6.25 MB/s or so. With
compression, let's say an average of 10 MB/s. For 1 TB = 10^6 MB, it
would take at least 10^5 seconds or just over 27 hours. A full backup of
a multi-terabyte system would take days.

Bacula expects its TCP connections to stay up for the entire job. It
will fail jobs, rather than attempt re-connects. Bacula is targeting
local network backups, rather than Internet backups, since the Internet
is generally not fast enough. One network hiccup can fail the job on day
3. There may be a way to resume jobs, but I am not sure it is possible
to resume failed jobs.

Also, there is a maximum runtime for a single job that must be dealt
with. It may require a patch and recompile to increase the max runtime.

My opinion is that the Internet is not yet fast enough or robust enough
for full backups of multi-terabyte systems. I would store fulls to local
disk and then rsync to GD. It should be feasible to store incrementals
directly to GD. However, if none of the filesystems are robust enough,
then I would table the whole idea until they are.