Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Unnecessarily duplicating backups

2016-07-19 09:53:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Unnecessarily duplicating backups
From: Ian Douglas <ian AT zti.co DOT za>
To: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:52:31 +0200
hi Ana

On Tuesday 19 July 2016 15:37:05 Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:

> If you run a differential after a full, then an incremental, but the
> differential one hadn't finished before the incremental one starts, then
> the incremental would check the last full one. So you will have both
> differential and incremental identical.

thanks.

But still not sure that's entirely correct.
I rebuilt a NAS. I had full backup of original.

After rebuilding, paths were slightly different, or at least the file times
were, so when I re-allowed daily incrementals it effectively did a full
backup.

Now, about a month later, it did a differential, again effectively a full
backup.

While differential was running, two daily incrementals were scheduled. I draw
a distinction between 'scheduled' and 'started', I'm not sure if you have the
same difference in your usage.

Anyway it ran two incrementals, both of which backed up the same data (as per
files and filesize in log). Both started hours after the differential was
finished, and the second over an hour after the first finished, with other
jobs inbetween.

My point is that the first incremental was done correctly, the second was an
unnecessary duplication, because (it appears to me), it decided too soon what
needs to be backed up.

Alf said I need to look at the 'duplicate jobs' setting, but that sounds like
a work-around rather than addressing the core issue, ie when does Bacula
decide what needs to be backed up... when scheduled or when run. The second
may be an exact duplicate when scheduled, but the data may have changed by run
time.

Thanks, Ian

--
ian AT zti.co DOT za http://www.zti.co.za