Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Off-site redundancy with volume replication?

2016-07-11 10:58:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Off-site redundancy with volume replication?
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:57:13 -0400
On 07/11/16 10:44, Michael Munger wrote:
> I need to solve the "what if the office burns down" problem.
>
> Is there a way to configure replication with Bacula? Suppose I have 50 x
> 50GB volumes that receive 250MB to 1G of new data per day. What's the
> best way to replicate / copy / backup the backups offsite? My current
> thought is to use rsync and sync volumes offsite. But, that seems
> inefficient. Even if I make the volume sizes small (<5GB) I am still
> going to be copying the entire 5GB volume if a single byte changes -
> instead of the single byte.

No, you shouldn't be.  That's the entire point of rsync -- it compares
files block-by-block and sends ONLY the changed blocks over the network.

> Is there a better way to do this? Can I configure one director to ask
> another "What's different on these volumes?" and then send only the
> updated data?

That's basically what rsync will do for you.  You could probably also
use xdelta, but an rsync solution would be much simpler to implement
than xdelta.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications