Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Difference between Full and Used status

2016-03-28 19:57:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Difference between Full and Used status
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 19:55:04 -0400
On 03/28/16 18:41, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Hello guys:
>
> I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
> concepts to make my own documents for clarification.
>
> I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used status?

A Full tape has necessarily been Used.

A Used tape is not necessarily Full, but because it is marked Used,
nothing more can be written to it without either setting it back to
Append, or Recycling it.

Example usage:
My monthly full backup tapes have a 24-hour use window.  The backup
takes about one and a half tapes.  At the end of the full backup, I
manually mark the half-full tape Used to prevent any other jobs from
being written to it.
My daily disk incremental-backup volumes have a 23-hour use window.
That use window expires about an hour before the next day's backup
starts.  This forces the previous day's volume to be marked Used, and a
new volume created for the new day's backups, instead of appending
another set of backups to the previous volume.  Thus I only ever have
one days' backups in a single disk volume, and can prune old volumes
with complete freedom.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications