Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Building directory tree...Query failed

2016-03-10 17:09:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Building directory tree...Query failed
From: Lee Brown <leeb AT ratnaling DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:39:04 -0800
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu> wrote:

> >> That is not entirely true. "Desktop" drives will spend a lot of time
> > trying to relocate data from failing sectors before they consider themselves
> > failing.
> >

> > It is completely true.
>
> BS. I've thrown out dozens of dead drives whose SMART report and
> self-tests were "healthy as an ox". I repeat, if you have a low-end
> "desktop" drive, "only reading SMART info" is not enough: they come with
> a well-known failure mode that produces false negative on the SMART test.

For anybody interested, Google studied failure trends in large disk populations and one of their conclusions was:
...we find that failure prediction models based on SMART parameters alone are likely to be severely limited in their prediction accuracy, given that a large fraction of our failed drives have shown no SMART error signals whatsoever.

In other words.  SMART says there's a problem, it's very likely to fail catastrophically within a short time period.  SMART says there's no problem, doesn't mean a thing.