Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Building directory tree...Query failed

2016-03-10 15:09:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Building directory tree...Query failed
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:06:42 -0600
On 03/10/2016 01:23 PM, compdoc wrote:
>>> You don't have to guess about failing hard drives. You only have to
>>> read the SMART info from each of your drives. That will tell you.
>>
>> That is not entirely true. "Desktop" drives will spend a lot of time
> trying to relocate data from failing sectors before they consider themselves
> failing.
>

> It is completely true.

BS. I've thrown out dozens of dead drives whose SMART report and
self-tests were "healthy as an ox". I repeat, if you have a low-end
"desktop" drive, "only reading SMART info" is not enough: they come with
a well-known failure mode that produces false negative on the SMART test.

On my planet anyway.
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin