Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [MTX Tape Changer] Error While Unloading Tape from Drive

2016-02-22 08:36:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [MTX Tape Changer] Error While Unloading Tape from Drive
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:29:48 +0000
On 18/02/16 21:24, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> From what I have heard many times, "tapeinfo" can do a scsi clear
> command (at least in some cases).

I've never seen this. Do you have a source? It's supposed to be a simple
interrogator.

> Until that is disproven, I cannot consider adding it to mtx-changer as
> a scsi clear is rather catastrophic to an autohanger in a
> multi-tasking, multi-processing environment.

Tapeinfo is one of the easier ways to get a "ready/not ready" result,
however it should be possible to get the same data with one of the more
general-purpose sg3 tools

Issuing commands to a changer if it's not in a state to receive them
results in aborted jobs and messed up backups, so checking for ready
before continuing makes sense.

(Ideally this should be done with loaderinfo, but I can't see ready/not
ready results with that tool)