Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to properly recycle in case a tape was not inserted

2016-02-13 09:20:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to properly recycle in case a tape was not inserted
From: isofx <isofx4inf AT gmx DOT at>
To: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:19:09 +0100
Thanks for your reply Heitor!

> Hello, Rainhard: this is counterproductive since Bacula has its own selection
> tape algorithm and will not respect the label name specified.
> The only way to ensure Bacula will write a specific tape in a given day is
> creating a Pool for each day.

That might actually be a good idea. The current scheme has been used for
years with another backup software that could handle it - we just
switched to Bacula last year.
I think I will give this a try, to minimize confusion for the customer.
Of course this would mean more tedious schedule configuration.

> Since what I think empirically it's most risky for tapes jam is loading and
> unloading; since daily backups are usually smaller differential or
> incremental; since changing tapes manually is expensive and a pain; I would
> use a scheme where Bacula uses the same tape for daily backups the whole
> week, and another tape the next one.
> I would use 4 days of Volume Use Duration and 9 days of Volume Retention for
> Daily Pool. I called that advanced GFS years ago, but I might think of a more
> suitable name.

That's a good point I hadn't considered. We currently have 4 DAY tapes,
so I might actually use each of these tapes for a full week of a month.

>> The best way to ensure a tape will be able to be recycled at a given time is
>> to use the Volume Use Duration.

Sure, but to my understanding Bacula will not recycle used tapes if
there is another tape in the pool that has status appendable, purged or
recycled.