Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How to properly recycle in case a tape was not inserted

2016-02-13 08:43:30
Subject: [Bacula-users] How to properly recycle in case a tape was not inserted
From: isofx <isofx4inf AT gmx DOT at>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:37:09 +0100
Hello,

I'm using a schedule with weekly full backups (Fri->Sat) and daily
incremental backups (Mon-Thu) with three volume pools
DAY-TAPES,WEEK-TAPES,MONTH-TAPES.
The tapes are labeled corresponding to the day/week they are used - so
DAY-1 for Monday, WEEK-1 for the first weekend of the month etc. On the
last weekend of
the month, the corresponding MONTH tape is used for the monthly full
backup (e.g. MONTH-JanJul, etc.).

The problem is, the customer does not want to invest into an
auto-changer, so tapes are changed manually from monday to friday. This
all works fine, until a
backup cannot be exercised because no one inserted a tape for that day -
which unfortunately happens on a semi-regular basis.

What I did until now, is simply cancel the backup jobs for that day.
However, this often led to problems with automatic recycling, like in
the following scenario:

Week 1: Tape "WEEK-1" required, but not inserted -> jobs cancelled
Week 2: Tape "WEEK-2" planed for backup, but even though it has been
inserted, it's not recycled by Bacula as "WEEK-1" has not been used the
week before

I often manually recycled tapes (purge jobs, update status) to get the
backups to run, but that led to even more problems (volume retention not
applied correctly, as
FirstWritten value of manually recycled tapes is not reset).

What's the correct way to handle this? I thought about just scrapping
the current scheme and instruct the customer to just insert the next
available tape (e.g. WEEK-1 hasn't
been used because not inserted -> WEEK-1 will be inserted next week.)
but I fear this might cause too much confusion (as mentioned the tape
operator is not all that reliable).

Any advice is much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Rainhard