Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Prefer disks over tape in restoring

2016-01-22 06:19:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Prefer disks over tape in restoring
From: Andrea Venturoli <ml AT netfence DOT it>
To: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:16:49 +0100
On 01/22/16 11:30, Heitor Faria wrote:

> Tape libraries are great and have huge throughput.

And cost too much, unfortunately.
The customer won't be able to afford one and I agree it would be overkill.

Until a few months ago their full backup took only a single tape; now it
spans two, but a more modern unit would be more than enough.

In any case someone still needs to put the tape in and get it out
(that's what I meant with "uncomfortable").

Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of tapes :)

>> Is there a way I can tell bacula to almost ignore tape backups, so:
>> a) always use the last disk full as a reference for subsequent diff/incr;
>> a) always restore from disk, unless I really ask for the tape (e.g. by
>> job number)?
>
> This looks like the copy jobs are the must suitable for your situation.

You mean the following?

b) do a Copy: this should work, but I'd need to copy several
full/diff/incr jobs (not having a complete up to date full);

So I should "copy" multiple jobs, not having a ready up to date "full"?

In case of disaster, would "bextract"ing data from such tapes be as easy?

  bye & Thanks
        av.