Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Prefer disks over tape in restoring

2016-01-22 04:46:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] Prefer disks over tape in restoring
From: Andrea Venturoli <ml AT netfence DOT it>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:43:51 +0100
Hello.

I'm loosing myself in what I think should be a pretty easy thing,
probabily a FAQ, but I could not find a clear answer...

My situation is as follows:
_ I do monthly full and daily diff/incr backup to a NAS (this is fast
and easy);
_ I also do weekly full backups to tapes (slow, unconfortable, but safer).

The Fileset is the same for both jobs.

So, in case of a restore, bacula selects the last tape backup (since
it's usually more recent than the last full disk backup) and subsequent
diff and incr from disk.
This is coherent with the fact that diff/incr backups are made with
reference to the last full (on tape) backup.

What I'd like to achieve, instead, is to always use restore from disk
and leave tapes as a last resort, in case something really went bad.

Is there a way I can tell bacula to almost ignore tape backups, so:
a) always use the last disk full as a reference for subsequent diff/incr;
a) always restore from disk, unless I really ask for the tape (e.g. by
job number)?

Is there a flag I can mark the tape pool with?

I thought:
a) do a VirtualFull from disk to tape, but that would then again be used
as a reference full, wouldn't it?
b) do a Copy: this should work, but I'd need to copy several
full/diff/incr jobs (not having a complete up to date full);
c) purge the tape job just after doing it, but then I would only be able
to bextract from it and I would have no track of it in the DB;
d) do a VirtualFull on disk, copy it to tape, delete it (since it would
take too much space on the NAS), but should it really be this difficult?
e) is that what archive pools (currently unimplemented AFAIK) are for?

Any hint appreciated.

  bye & Thanks
        av.