Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Change order of when a backup is run

2015-11-07 04:42:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Change order of when a backup is run
From: Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 23:38:26 -1000
Hi Heitor,

>Other way to prioritize jobs without creating a critical path between them is reorganizing their order like they appear in the bacula-dir.conf, I think even if they are in included split files.

I'll try the above.

Thanks!
-craig

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br> wrote:

> I like that this thread appeared.  It is something I have been thinking about
> for a week or two.
>
> I have three categories of jobs:
>
> - backups
> - catalog backup
> - initiate copy jobs
>
> Those groups need to run in that order and concurrent backup jobs are allowed.
> This is achieved by
> setting a different priority on each of those groups.
>
> However, within the backups, I would prefer the longer running jobs to start
> first.  This is to
> minimize the total elapsed time.
>
> "Allow Mixed Priority" is not an option for me because backing up the catalog
> cannot start
> until everything is backed up.
>
> An interesting point about:  "Allow Mixed Priority" - "The scheduler will only
> mix priorities when all running jobs have this set to true"
>
> This is what most jobs use now:
>
> Schedule {
>  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
>  Run = Level=Full         1st     sun at 03:05
>  Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 03:05
>  Run = Level=Incremental  mon-sat     at 03:05
> }
>
> If I wanted my longer running jobs to start first, I could add this and alter
> the jobs accordingly:
>
> Schedule {
>  Name = "WeeklyCycleFirst"
>  Run = Level=Full         1st     sun at 03:04
>  Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 03:04
>  Run = Level=Incremental  mon-sat     at 03:04
> }
>
> Am I correct here? all jobs scheduled for 3:04 will be started before any jobs
> scheduled for 3:05

Hello Dan, nice to see you.
Yes, 3:04 jobs will all start before any 3:05 jobs regardless of their priority.
It seems AllowMixedPriority only works when higher priority jobs are submitted after lower jobs are already running, and never the opposite. At least it's what I understand from (Kern's ?) comment in the the source code:
"bool allow_mixed_priority; /* Allow jobs with higher priority concurrently with this */"
Other way to prioritize jobs without creating a critical path between them is reorganizing their order like they appear in the bacula-dir.conf, I think even if they are in included split files.

> —
> Dan Langille
> http://langille.org/

Best Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F |  Bacula Systems Certified Administrator II
Do you need Bacula training? http://bacula.us/video-classes/
I do Bacula training and deploy in any city of the world. More information: http://bacula.us/
+55 61 8268-4220
Site: http://bacula.us FB: heitor.faria