Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Change order of when a backup is run

2015-11-06 15:14:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Change order of when a backup is run
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 15:08:44 -0500
On Oct 29, 2015, at 8:07 AM, Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
wrote:

> On 10/28/15 19:23, Craig Shiroma wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently, all my backups start at a certain time of the day.  The order
>> in which Bacula runs them appears to be alphabetically.  I have some
>> long running backups.  I was wondering if there is a way to start these
>> jobs first instead of wait until it's their turn alphabetically without
>> having to put them on a different schedule?
>
> If you need jobs to run concurrently, but start in a specified order,
> pretty much the only way you can accomplish it is to assign them to
> staged schedules.

I like that this thread appeared.  It is something I have been thinking about
for a week or two.

I have three categories of jobs:

- backups
- catalog backup
- initiate copy jobs

Those groups need to run in that order and concurrent backup jobs are allowed.
This is achieved by
setting a different priority on each of those groups.

However, within the backups, I would prefer the longer running jobs to start
first.  This is to
minimize the total elapsed time.

"Allow Mixed Priority" is not an option for me because backing up the catalog
cannot start
until everything is backed up.

An interesting point about:  "Allow Mixed Priority" - "The scheduler will only
mix priorities when all running jobs have this set to true"

This is what most jobs use now:

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Level=Full         1st     sun at 03:05
  Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 03:05
  Run = Level=Incremental  mon-sat     at 03:05
}

If I wanted my longer running jobs to start first, I could add this and alter
the jobs accordingly:

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycleFirst"
  Run = Level=Full         1st     sun at 03:04
  Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 03:04
  Run = Level=Incremental  mon-sat     at 03:04
}

Am I correct here? all jobs scheduled for 3:04 will be started before any jobs
scheduled for 3:05

—
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/