Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Volume Pools and Strategy

2015-11-04 09:39:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Volume Pools and Strategy
From: Wesley Render <wrender AT otherdata DOT com>
To: Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 14:35:00 +0000
It seems to be working a lot better with different volume pools at
each storage location. I have one server backing up to the server at
our office, and 2 servers backing up to the datacenter. Here is what I
have so far:

Pool {
   Name = office-p-monthly
   Pool Type = Backup
   Volume Retention = 6 months
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   LabelFormat = office-p-monthly-
   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
   Maximum Volumes = 9
}

Pool {
   Name = office-p-weekly
   Pool Type = Backup
   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
   Volume Retention = 1 months
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   LabelFormat = office-p-weekly-
   Maximum Volumes = 7
}
Pool {
   Name = office-p-daily
   Pool Type = Backup
   Maximum Volume Jobs = 6
   Volume Retention = 14 days
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   LabelFormat = office-p-daily-
   Maximum Volumes = 6
}
Pool {
   Name = datacenter-p-monthly
   Pool Type = Backup
   Volume Retention = 6 months
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   LabelFormat = datacenter-p-monthly-
   Maximum Volume Jobs = 2
   Maximum Volumes = 9
}
Pool {
   Name = datacenter-p-weekly
   Pool Type = Backup
   Maximum Volume Jobs = 2
   Volume Retention = 1 months
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   LabelFormat = datacenter-p-weekly-
   Maximum Volumes = 7
}
Pool {
   Name = datacenter-p-daily
   Pool Type = Backup
   Maximum Volume Jobs = 2
   Volume Retention = 14 days
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   LabelFormat = datacenter-p-daily-
   Maximum Volumes = 6
}

Quoting Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>:

> I think you have to use one set of pool for every storage.
> I think that you can write volumes of the same pool into different storage,
> the problem may arrive when you have to restore...
>
> Try to a restore job...
>

> This is my Schedule:
> Schedule {
>        Name = "Custom"
>        Run = Level=Full Storage=ST-data Pool=P-Monthly 1st sat at 21:30
>        Run = Level=Differential Storage=ST-data Pool=P-Weekly 2nd-5th sat
> at 21:30
>        Run = Level=Incremental Storage=ST-data Pool=P-Daily sun-fri at
> 22:00
> }
>
> As you can see I set the Storage and Pool into every line, you can change
> it.
>
> Why do you like to use a single pool?
> If you have 2 storage may be more clear and easy to find every single
> volumes if you have different pools..
>
> Bye

>> Should each storage daemon/geographic storage location have it's own
>> set of Volume Pools?  Or can I share one set of Volume Pools between
>> all of the storage daemons/storage locations?
>>
>> I am  using auto labelling as well and it works great.
>>

>> --
>> Wesley Render, Consultant
>> OtherData

Wesley Render, Consultant