Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Choosing a backup strategy

2015-08-17 07:55:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Choosing a backup strategy
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:53:46 +0200
On Monday 2015-08-17 12:09:15 Waqar Khan wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Bacula version: 5.0.0
>
> At the moment I do a full backup at the start of the month then do a
> diff backup every weekend and incremental backups every evening. I
> would like a way to speed up the entire backup process. I am thinking
> of removing the diff backup jobs and only running full and then
> incremental. Would this be a good strategy? My backups are file volumes
> and no tapes.
>
> Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, yes it should be fine but your restore will be a bit
slower.

Differential backups are valuable feature when you are dealing with
tapes as this would decrease the number of tapes that need to be
changed while restoring the complete system or huge bunch of files
located on a number of different tapes.

If you are using only files as volumes you could still benefit from
the differential backup but it wouldn't be significant as in the
case of tapes.

If you are trying to speed up your backup make sure that you are not
using spooling data feature which doesn't make much sense if you are
using file volumes exclusively.

--
Josip Deanovic