Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Out of virtual tapes

2015-08-14 09:05:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Out of virtual tapes
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 13:03:33 +0000
Hello Radoslow,

I was talking about the configurations of the bacula user that originated this thread. And I based my opinion on his pool configuration and list media output.

I agree with you that some files are always backed up regardless of whether or not you are using a full backup job. And this is the case of virtual machine disk images.

In this case, IMHO there is a trade-off. Do I have enough space for keeping a 1 year retention backups of all my disk images? Is this really necessary for me?

I have seen solutions that have a weekly or monthly full backups for VM disk images and daily backup for the data partitions of the virtual machines that are susceptible of changes dieting the week/month.

Also, the most cases I had seen that needs a
Virtual machine disk image restore are:

1) disaster recover: in this case, the last backup is what we need. Having this backup in more than one place is preferable than having later ones.

2) updates and/or upgrades in the virtual machine configuration do not work: in this case we need a backup immediately before the changes were made. In this case we can take care of always having a full backup before doing any software changes in the virtual machine.

Finally, there is a large number of situations and in some of them maybe it could be necessary to have daily full backups. IMHO if we can avoid this, we can save space destined for backups.

Best regards,
Ana