Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Resume backup job

2015-07-28 07:24:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Resume backup job
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Francisco Javier Funes Nieto <esencia AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:23:37 +0200
Hello,

Bacula is a big, stable and mature backup program, so between major versions, it is quite often a year -- this is because the new features are often very complex and big projects.  In between major versions there are more frequent update releases.  The next version, which should be released shortly will be a bit over one year from the Bacula 7.0.5 release.  This is normal as noted above because the next version is a major release, and in addition 7.0.5 is quite stable although there are bugs.  By the way, the next release at this moment has about 230,000 lines of diff output from version 7.0.5.

As for as releasing with bugs.  Well that goes very well for Microsoft and most open source projects, but I feel it is a bad idea for a backup program, which one wants to be stable, robust and reliable.  However there are others who have prefer to develop and release, and if you look you can even find backup projects that believe in that.  I prefer to minimize user pain from bugs as much as is possible and that takes time and lots of testing.

Best regards,
Kern