Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Why it takes so much to "Building directory tree"

2015-07-05 04:18:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Why it takes so much to "Building directory tree"
From: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 08:13:47 +0000
You should look out when copying an innodb_buffer_pool_size from a webpage or
so, the best value for that setting depends too much on local conditions, esp.
available RAM, database size, and what else is running (and needing memory) on
the same server.

In general, the higher the setting, the better, but you have to take care not
to take so much that other components suffer from it.
And of course, setting it higher than your database size is useless, but I
don't think that will be an issue with Bacula (my bacula db is 11 GB).

I think it's a good approach to log on to the server while backups are running
and examine the output of the 'free' command a number of times, if possible
under different circumstances (while clients are being backed up, while the
director is being backed up, while the MySQL database itself is being dumped,
while a restore is running, etc.).

If you see that 'free' reports a lot of free memory all of the time, allocate
part of that for database use by adding it to innodb_buffer_pool_size.
If you experience problems or slow behavior later, check it again. If it is
reporting low memory then (or especially swap space use of more than a few MB),
decrease innodb_buffer_pool_size to free some up.

Even better is setting up Munin (or similar) to monitor your Bacula machine and
examine the memory use graphs.