Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] director won't start

2015-03-27 00:33:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] director won't start
From: Tim Dunphy <bluethundr AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:24:57 -0400
Hi Josip,

Your config file seems ok to me except that you have omitted the
first line of the config file which probably looks like "Director {"

I accidentally sent this to only Josip. Now including the list. Sorry dudes!

Hmm.. ok. Well that may have been a copy/paste error on my part. Here is the top of my config, just so we all know. :)

Director {                            # define myself
  Name = ops.jokefire.com
  DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
  QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/spool/bacula"
  PidDirectory = "/var/run"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  Password = "secret"         # Console password
  Messages = Daemon
  TLS Certificate = /etc/pki/tls/certs/ops.jokefire.com.crt
  TLS Key = /etc/pki/tls/private/ops.jokefire.com.key
  TLS CA Certificate File = /etc/pki/CA/certs/ca.crt
  TLS Enable = yes
  TLS Require = yes
}

If you are sure that you can manually connect to the mysql using
the same connection data and the same environment (e.g. the same user
used for running bacula-dir daemon) and you are sure that there is
no some kind of restriction or security in place (e.g. selinux)
than in my opinion it could only be setup of the bacula database
in the mysql.

Ok. And yeah, I'm not using SELinux at the moment. Although I will want to enable it again eventually once I get this host back into shape!

[root@ops:/etc/bacula] #getenforce
Disabled

Have you performed a major bacula upgrade recently or some kind
of database restore?

Uhmm... yeah. Unfortunately the old database was lost during the 'incident'. That's part of the challenge of this situation. So yeah I had to recreate the database. Lets just say I fumble fingered a delete (rm) command!!! :'(

You have mentioned "the unfortunate incident".
If you had to recreate the bacula database make sure that you
(or your puppet configuration) perform commands used for
creation of the bacula database and setting appropriate
privileges.

That would be:
create_mysql_database
make_mysql_tables
grant_mysql_privileges

So, just to be thorough, I dropped the database again and ran these commands again!

[root@ops:/etc/bacula] #./create_mysql_database
Creation of bacula database succeeded.

[root@ops:/etc/bacula] #./make_mysql_tables
Creation of Bacula MySQL tables succeeded.

[root@ops:/etc/bacula] #./grant_mysql_privileges
Privileges for user bacula granted on database bacula.

And went to start the director again!

[root@ops:~] #service bacula-dir start
Starting bacula-dir:                                       [  OK  ]

Checked to see if it was running:

[root@ops:~] #service bacula-dir status
bacula-dir dead but subsys locked

Hmmm... NOPE!!

And checked the log file:

[root@ops:~] #tail /var/log/bacula/bacula.log
27-Mar 00:14 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Query failed: SELECT VersionId FROM Version: ERR=no such table: Version
27-Mar 00:14 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog "JokefireCatalog", database "bacula".
27-Mar 00:14 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Query failed: SELECT VersionId FROM Version: ERR=no such table: Version
27-Mar 00:14 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

And saw the same exact entries. I'm enclosing my entire director config as an attachment. Just in case that helps troubleshoot the problem!!!!

Thank you all for your help! This community is simply tremendous!

Your config file seems ok to me except that you have omitted the
first line of the config file which probably looks like "Director {"

Hmm.. ok. Well that may have been a copy/paste error on m part. Here is the top of my config, just so we all know. :)

Director {                            # define myself
  Name = ops.jokefire.com
  DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
  QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/spool/bacula"
  PidDirectory = "/var/run"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  Password = "Duk30fZh0u"         # Console password
[...]

Tim

Quoting message written on Thursday 2015-03-26 17:37:18:

--
Josip Deanovic

GPG me!!

GPG me!!