Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula doesn't write on the whole tape

2015-03-26 20:25:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula doesn't write on the whole tape
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Markus Rosjat <rosjat AT ghweb DOT de>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:21:03 -1000
Hello,

There is a section in the manual that provides a step by step procedure
for testing writing to tapes.  In addition to what John wrote you, there
are two other obvious things for you to do:

1. Ensure that tape drive hardware compression is turned on.

2. Send the Job report output when a tape becomes full to this list.
That way we can see why Bacula terminates writing on the tape.

If you are writing data that is already compressed or encrypted in one
form or another, then the apparent amount of data that you write to the
tape (after compression or encryption) will be about 1/2 what
manufacturers say the tape holds.  They always cite tape sizes assuming
a 2:1 compression of data being written on the tape.

Best regards,
Kern