Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula doesn't write on the whole tape

2015-03-26 12:34:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula doesn't write on the whole tape
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 09:29:37 -0700
On 2015-03-26 08:26 AM, Markus Rosjat wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I know this question was asked befor and maybe it will be again in the
> future but I'm kinda frustrated with it.
> We have a LTO-3 hp tapeloader and suddenly our jobs began to randomly
> mark tapes as full even the tape was writen with half of the amount or
> sometimes less. I found some old post about it on the list but with a
> aswer like
> "solved but I dont tell because it was sooo simple" you get frustrated
> again. What we did so far without solving the problem.
>
>    1. replacing the scsi controller -> no effect
>    2. replacing the scsi cable -> no effect
>    3. replacing the terminator -> no effect
>    4. replacing the tapeloader -> no effect
>
> so even with all physical parts removed bacula insist that the tapes are
> fully writen after 150gb or even 80gb. We used brand new, never written
> tapes too and got told they are full. but checking showed we had once
> again just written less then expected.
>
> So if somebody out there with the same problem and a solution please share.
>
> Regards

What Bacula version are you using?

I did have issues like that in the past, quite a number of years ago
though.  I was using a stand-alone HP LTO-3 drive at the time.  I
believe the drive was kicking back some sort of error that Bacula was
interpreting as being the end of the tape.  The problems went away when
I switched to another tape drive (which happened to be an IBM instead of
an HP).

Bryn